Cowboys second-round pick DeMarcus Lawrence 'beyond excited' about return

Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence is "beyond excited" to return to practice for the first time since breaking right foot in training camp on Wednesday.

"I'm going to have a lot to work on getting back out there, but I feel like this has been a loooong time coming," Lawrence said. "Just get back out there, work on my fundamentals and my technique and hopefully I'll get back to normal real soon."

The Cowboys traded up to pick Lawrence in the second round in May with hopes he could impact the pass rush. He was off to a strong start in training camp before getting injured in a one-on-one pass-rush drill with Tyron Smith.

Rehabbing and watching was hard on Lawrence, but the Cowboys still need help rushing the passer. They only have seven sacks so far this season.

"I just had to come to the realization I was going to be back real soon so just sit back and countdown the days and weeks and now it's almost here," he said.

The Cowboys placed Lawrence on short-term injured reserve, which will keep him out of the first six games. He can practice for the next two weeks on a roster exemption before returning to action Nov. 2 against the Arizona Cardinals.

"I feel like it would be hard just trying to coming out and go straight into a game week, so these two (weeks of) practice will help me out," Lawrence said. "It'll let me get back into the defensive scheme."

It will also help him work on his conditioning. He said he has had no problems with his foot during the rehab.

"You never know if you're in football shape until you start playing football again," Lawrence said, "so we'll find out tomorrow."

Cowboys second-round pick DeMarcus Lawrence 'beyond excited' about return Cowboys second-round pick DeMarcus Lawrence 'beyond excited' about return
 Reviewed by Mr. DCStands4 on 11:40:00 PM Rating: 5

#Cowboys TV